Cheryl Carter, MA, LMHC, SUDP
Location: Virtual Appointments Only
Ages: Teens (16+), Adults, Couples
Specializes in: Co-Occurring Disorders (alcohol/drug addiction), Anxiety, Depression, Trauma/PTSD, Discernment Counseling for Couples
When you walk into Cheryl’s office, you are walking into a safe and supportive environment where you will get immediate help in figuring out the next steps to take in your life and relationships.
Cheryl has walked down the path of healing from her own life and relational experiences which helps her effectively walk down the path with you in finding solutions for the struggles you are currently facing. She’s been there and knows what it feels like to take that first step in getting the help you know you might need to get things back on track.
Knowing and understanding this journey from the inside out, Cheryl’s approach is completely non-judgemental and aims to ease the struggles you might be experiencing from anxiety, depression, feeling lost or confused, or feeling like you just can’t get control within your relationships.
We all get stuck in old habitual patterns of engaging with our world that, if we are honest, don’t really work well anymore. This happens in many areas of our lives, within our families, our work, and especially in our marriages and primary relationships. In your work together, Cheryl will guide you in finding the tools and strategies to break free from these habitual ways of responding in favor of new options that are more effective in the here and now.
Cheryl utilizes an artful blend of Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) and Mindfulness-Based Therapy in her work. She will help you learn how to challenge and change unproductive thinking and behavior patterns that lead to feelings of anxiety, depression, or feelings of being overwhelmed. Utilizing mindfulness approaches, Cheryl will also help you in living the life that is right in front of you now, instead of dwelling in the past, or over-focusing on the future.
As a therapist who is trained in working with both mental health as well as chemical dependency/substance abuse challenges, Cheryl is unique in her ability to provide support to individuals, families, and couples who are struggling to cope with the painful and often debilitating experience of addiction, as well as when addiction and mental health struggles are both present (co-occurring disorders/dual diagnosis).
Some of the areas Cheryl specializes in:
- When you feel like anxiety, depression, or overwhelm have completely taken over your life or the life of a loved one
- Helping couples and families find more effective ways of connecting and communicating
- Supporting individuals, families, and couples who are actively struggling with addiction issues and also additional mental health challenges
- Helping children, teens, and adults find their own path after growing up with parents who struggled with addiction
- Working with individuals who want to find ways to end the cycle of co-dependence
- Master’s Degree, Addictions Counseling, Grand Canyon University
- Licensed Mental Health Associate, Washington State
- Chemical Dependency Professional License, Washington State
You do not have to take this journey alone. If you would like more information on Cheryl or are ready to set up an appointment to get immediate help in figuring out the next steps to take in your life and relationships, you can schedule with Cheryl now through our online scheduling system here. Or, you can give us a call or send us an email.