As a parent, it’s only natural to want the very best for your child. Sometimes, however, it can be challenging to recognize what is truly the “best” or “right” thing for their needs.
Making this determination can be especially tricky if your child appears to be struggling or going through a rough patch. Do you let your child explore their feelings and hope that the hard time passes? Or should you intervene and get your child professional help?
At Thrive Counseling Center, we specialize in child counseling in Federal Way. Therapy is not the right choice for every child or every situation, but there is a time for help from a licensed professional. Significant behavioral changes at home and in other social settings often signal the need for child counseling.
Below, we list several indicators that your child would likely benefit from child counseling in Federal Way:
Behaviors to Watch For
- Acting unusually withdrawn or uninterested in their daily activities
- Participating in self-destructive or self-harming behaviors
- Expressing new or increased anxiety about upcoming events or “the future” in general
- Feeling “foggy” or unable to focus at school or home
- Performing actions or “obeying” compulsions such as locking doors repeatedly that seem obsessive
- Overreacting to minor or insignificant situations
Lifestyle Changes to Watch For
- A significant adverse change in grades or academic performance
- Inconsistent sleep patterns or sudden increase or decrease in sleep
- Extreme changes in appetite and food intake
- Consistent nightmares
- Sudden substance use or abuse
Contact Our Federal Way Counseling Office
If your child appears to be struggling socially, academically, or physically, child counseling in Federal Way may be able to help. Working with a licensed counselor can help your child learn to cope with challenging situations and teach them valuable skills to deal with their stressors and trials.
To schedule a child counseling session at Thrive Counseling Center, please contact us by calling (206) 567-7267.